Tuesday, December 30, 2014

The Trip Home with 2 Reindeer

The Reindeer are named after my Grandparents, Einar and Alice. They huddled in the midst of the heard in the pasture. We walked out, following the heard as they moved away from us. We helped to cut our boy and girl out of the heard and placed a halter on each of them and struggle a bit to get them to follow us, plying them with slices of apple. I wanted to take them all home with me.

We got them into the van. Christopher drove carefully until Einar and Alice settle down on the mats, their eyes wide open in what I presumed was fear. I settle down between them and stroked their heads until they began to look sleepy and then I laid down and fell asleep myself to catch up on the sleep that my excitement denied me last night.

We are somewhere on the west side of Des Moines Iowa. We're staying in a hotel with doors that open directly to the outdoors. I've made a bed with mats and packing blankets. Master and Christopher have taken the bed so I am on the floor near the fawn. Master and Christopher ate in a restaurant and I stayed in the van eating my meals from carry out containers. It is all working perfectly so far. We're expecting to be home late Friday but we're not in a hurry. Most of the bad weather is south of us. We're going to be traveling through some extreme cold over the next couple days.

I'm in charge of taking Einar and Alice out to relieve themselves, hoping to prevent any accidents.
I think they are trying to figure out exactly what I am and why I am sleeping with them. Einer is watchful and raises his head with every sound.

1 comment:

  1. How old are Alice and Einer? They sound quite young from your description. They'll soon get used to you though, sleeping with them sounds quite charming. I presume there's enough heating in the van to combat your cold weather, we've got frost here, about 30f at night so hardly extreme compared to yours by the sound of it.
    Looking forward to hearing how they settle on the ranch. safe journey to all of you.

    ReplyDelete