Monday, May 5, 2014

Security

I rely on my dogs and Llamas to keep more vulnerable animals like Alpaca and Pigmy Goats safe. I didn't realize how formidable Llamas are. They first let out a warning then spit at and bite intruders. They are almost fearless.

A worker in the vineyard climbed the fence near the goats.  The Llama let out a horrible screech and then charged the guy. They alarmed the dogs who were laying in the shade surrounded by Alpaca. They responded to the Llama at the same time that I ran out of the barn to see what the ruckus was about. The guy was pinned against the fence being attacked by our big male, the dogs were charging across the field barking with some of the geese in hot pursuit.

It was hilarious, except that the guy had gobs of grassy green spit on his face.  Llamas instinctively aim for the eyes.  We cleaned him up, flushed his eyes with water and had the crew foreman  drive him into the emergency room. He was okay but Chris had the foreman lay him off the job for leaving the vineyard.

It amuses me to see how the animals respond to each other. Sometimes I think I have a "Charlottes Web" thing going on. I fully expect they all speak English when no humans are around to hear them.

2 comments:

  1. That would be OK until they started telling you what to do - in English of course :)

    I always believe that if you treat animals well and with respect they will do the same back to you in their own way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm just having fun with them. I enjoy playing with them, feeding them grooming them and cleaning up after them. They give me their affection and companionship. It's all so simple.

      Delete