Friday, July 25, 2014

Spinning

I bought a spinning wheel when my first Alpaca arrived. It is a large graceful looking tool that sat in the studio next to the loom, waiting to be used. My new friend came to teach me to spin. What a wonderful and relaxing practice to turn fluffy rovings into yarn. The oil from the wool lubricates itself as it slides through the fingers. Every sense is directed toward making a uniform yarn. We spun lumpy rustic looking yarn at first but it slowly became  more uniform as I practiced.

Tommy, Sancho and Panza were lying around the studio until they heard a clamor of geese and barking dogs outside. They raced through the house to join the activity outside. It was a delivery man that Joe buzzed in through the gate. It broke my concentration. It was lunch time anyway.

3 comments:

  1. Not sure if you can get this broadcast in the US, if not it might be worth asking one of your UK friends to record it for you. Global warming in a light I haven't seen before. The photography and music are quite incredible and I thought you'd like to see it.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b04bdtqt/our-planet-from-the-air-home
    T

    ReplyDelete
  2. I get a message that said it was for use in the UK only. I'll try to find it on the BBC channel here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found the movie on YouTube: http://youtu.be/LyFDL_skre8
    Everyone needs to see the movie. Humans have many mistakes during our short existence on this planet. It is a population issue combined with greed that is causing the mess we're making at the expense of everything on our planet.
    But then, you know that.

    ReplyDelete