Friday, July 3, 2015

Spinning in Circles

We're in for the night. We stopped at a supermarket outside of Denver on our way to our new home then stopped at a restaurant. We bought groceries then realized we can't do anything with them because we have no pots, pans or dishes. So we're going out for breakfast tomorrow. 

We snacked on gluten free sunflower seed bread, Brie and Fig or Lingenberry jam. We used our fingers to spread the brie and jam on the bread. It was quite messy. We also forgot to bring towels with us so we have to air dry after our showers. We'll be making a buying trip tomorrow.

Aside from practicality, everything is wonderful and beautiful.

I fell asleep on the plane thinking anxiously about seeing the house and moving. I was half hoping that something would happen that would cause our buyer to ask us to keep our house and return his money. But it's all a done deal. Even though it's too late to bother thinking about it, I regret leaving the vineyard and olive grove behind. More than that, I regret having build my studio and then not getting to use it before abandoning it. Oh well, we can build a new and better work space.

The aroma of cedar was intoxicating the moment we stepped into the house. The air is completely clean having been built entirely of natural materials. It was warm during the day but we'll be able to throw the windows and doors on the second and third floor wide open. We were warned to close the first floor at night to keep marauding wild animals from coming in for a visit.

Master has gone off to bed already. I think I'll go off to be with him. Luckily, the designer made a bed for us.


Happy Independents Day!
 
 

3 comments:

  1. There's always going to be a feeling of regret before the explosion of the new takes over and you realise that it has all been for the best. From my limited geography it sounds as if the mists from the ocean are going to be a thing of the past along with the high taxes and fear of earthquakes.
    It occurred to me that the studio must be one of your regrets, but as you say, a new one can be built just as the old/new one was. I presume olives and vines are no loner possible or can you choose to grow them if you want to? You must tell me what the temps are expected and how they differ from CA.

    I've not used my fingers for spreading jam for many many years, I forget how much fun stuff like that can be :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Pacific Ocean is nearly a thousand miles and several mountain ranges west of the new home. Our elevation is well over 5,000 feet. It snows heavily and the temperatures can drop below zero F. The dew point is usually very low so it is comfortable whether hot or cold. I grew up in the Chicago area with Lake Michigan visible from my bedroom windows where temperatures are similar but it is usually humid and damp.

    I actually crave the cold and snow and even the waves from the lake pounding the shore behind our house but I much prefer the west.

    We rarely dropped lower than the mid-40's in California.

    It is too cold and the growing season is too short for vineyards and olive trees.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've always lived quite close to the sea, born and bred within a mile or so. I'm now an hour away and miss it a lot, especially when I'm there listening to the waves. There's just something about it, either calm or rough it inspires you to breath deep and live just that bit more.

    I could say the same might be true of mountains, certainly I have friends who wouldn't live anywhere but in sight or half way up them.
    Humidity saves the day when the temps rise, low dew point and it's no sweat.

    ReplyDelete