Friday, June 12, 2015

I Have So Much to Talk About

Being home is almost overwhelming. I came home to chaos of recognition. The geese treated me as if I was a stranger until they heard my voice. Their attack turned into a clamor for attention (and feed). The dogs came racing from every corner of the ranch. The new dog and puppy stood reluctant at first then ran to see what of the excitement was about. I Sancho and Buddha knocked me on the ground and the rest of the dogs piled themselves on top of me. Hugs, kisses and wet tongues and noses came at me from every direction. The tiny Viszla puppy wiggled his way through the crowd to find out who I was. Amazingly, the big dogs let him through and allowed him a moment to greet me.

I had so much more to see out in the corral. I knew before I left that we would have babies while I was gone but there were so many surprises.

I went inside to greet Tony and then took a long bath in my own fizzy tub where I fell asleep. I live a life of absolute abundance, love and luxury. It's not that it doesn't exist in Bhutan but it is so different to feel a sense of such well being in my own home.

My hike took me to villages and farms that few tourist experience. Even the poorest were generous. There was always at the least, a cup of tea or Yak Milk that was warm from the animal or warmed over a wood fire. My friend and I sleep a simple wood palettes with a Blanket in some homes. our hosts always smiled and treated us like family. My friend bestowed blessings on everyone and I slipped my hand into my backpack for my offering of Bhutanese Ngultrum.  I often resorted to placing it on a table or shelf in the room to give it too them. They most often refused it if I handed it  directly to our host. My friend apologized for me in the case that I offended them until I learned to apologize myself. Sometimes, our hosts were so impoverished that $50.00 could be a life changer.

I will go back to Bhutan next spring. I already miss the gentle smiles from everyone that I came in contact with. I will take Master with me.

1 comment:

  1. That overwhelming welcome by the four legged and winged shows you reap what you sow. I'm sure it was the same with the two legged too!

    Off the beaten track finds the world as it is and not how someone wants us think it is. Most tourism is there to make a profit from the tourist and not to enrich or enlighten. It must be very satisfying to be able to travel where the commercial vagaries of the world have not yet completely overtaken the warmth and honesty of the people who live there. It must also be good for them to see that the "western world" isn't all a case of people greedy for new experiences without a thought for those they trample.
    Glad you're back safe.

    ReplyDelete